What you eat can make you hurt more.
If you are suffering with aches and pains, whether it be low back pain or even headaches, what you eat can make the pain worse. When it comes to aches and pains, we generally don’t think of our food causing us more pain, but it can. When you have pain in your body, it is typically from localized inflammation due to an injury or overuse. This inflammation can be made worse by what you eat.
Here are some foods to limit or avoid if you are in pain or aching:
- Caffeine- Caffeine in colas and coffee can actually change your pH balance in your body. making you more acidic. This can change your body’s natural chemical processes, increasing your inflammation.
- Sugar- Increased insulin levels dramatically increase your sensitivity to pain. Even watch fresh fruit juices.
- Nightshade vegetables- Example, tomatoes, potatoes and eggplant can increase the inflammatory response in your body. Also watch tomato sauces in pasta or pizza.
- Trans fats and fried foods- These promote inflammation in the body.
- Aspartame- the artificial sweetener in a lot of sodas can increase sensitivity to pain.
Eating healthy fresh fruits and vegetables as well as drinking plenty of water can help your body get rid of toxins in your body and reduce your inflammation. While this may not eliminate your pain completely, it can certainly help when combined with seeing your physical therapist. If you are suffering with muscle or joint aches and pains, call us today to find out how we can help you relieve your pain and get you back to the activities you love.